Committee for 9/11 Accountability
Links to other sites
- Efforts toward an independent investigation of 9/11
- Books on 9/11: reviews, excerpts, author interviews, etc.
- Other mainstream criticism of the U.S. government concerning 9/11
- Official government reports
- 9/11 "inside job" theories - advocates and opponents
- 9/11 Truth activists speak against bigotry within the 9/11 Truth movement
- Resources for research on 9/11
- U.S. foreign policy context of 9/11
Efforts toward an independent investigation of 9/11
- Family Steering Committee for the 9/11 Commission - by the people who successfully lobbied Congress to create the 9/11 Commission. (For their story, see the video 9/11: Press for Truth.)
- Justice for 9/11 - a failed attempt, in 2004, to get the New York State Attorney General interested in investigating 9/11. Website contains many reasons to call for a new and independent investigation. (Some of the reasons given are dated, but other questions are still unanswered.)
- Public's Right To Know - Declassification and Release of Documents - online pedition, in 2007, by the Jersey Girls, who led the Family Steering Committee. (More information here.)
- NYC 9/11 Ballot Initiative and Support the New Investigation: Justice for 9/11 Heroes and Victims - current effort for an investigation based here in New York City.
- National Security Whistleblowers Coalition - Sibel Edmonds's organization. Not primarily about 9/11, but the website includes a press release titled The 9/11 Commission: A Play on Nothing in Three Acts, which contains a list of 9/11 whistleblowers, with brief summaries of their complaints.
Books on 9/11: reviews, excerpts, author interviews, etc.
- The Commission: The Uncensored History of the 9/11 Investigation by Philip Shenon
- review by Juliet Lapidos, Slate, Feb. 6, 2008
- review by Evan Thomas, New York Times, February 4, 2008
- review by Jacob Heilbrunn, New York Times, April 13, 2008
- review by Max Holland, History News Network, 2-11-08
- review by Dermot McEvoy, Publishers Weekly, 2/8/2008
- excerpt from the book, on NPR
- interview with Philip Shenon, by Elizabeth Benedict, Huffington Post, March 7, 2008
- Philip Shenon's blog
- 9/11 widows call for new investigation after revelations of White House, commission ties by Nick Juliano, Raw Story, Tuesday February 5, 2008. (See also Kyle F. Hence (Press For Truth) & 911 Widows Open Letter To 911 Cmssrs. Re: Shenon Book - thread in the Democratic Underground forum.)
- Without Precedent: The Inside Story of the 9/11 Commission by Thomas H. Kean and Lee H. Hamilton
- Review by James Bamford, New York Times, August 20, 2006.
- Review by Hope Yen, Associated Press, August 4, 2006, on the Washington Post site. (Another copy on the MSNBC site, August 5, 2006, and another copy on the Fox News site, August 04, 2006.)
- Interview with Lee Hamilton by Evan Solomon, CBC News (Canada), August 21, 2006. (Note: Hamilton is wrong about the view of most experts on what brought down the WTC buildings. The fires did not melt steel, just softened it a bit. WTC 7 is believed to have been brought down solely by fire, not by the structural damage due to "aftershocks" of the Twin Towers collapsing. And the fires in WTC 7 were apparently not started by ruptured diesel tanks. However, these technical matters were not among the 9/11 Commission's main concerns.)
- Cover Up: What the Government is Still Hiding About the War on Terror by Peter Lance
- Book description on the website of Harper Collins, the publisher
- Review of Kyle Hence (one of the makers of the video 9/11: Press for Truth), October 14, 2004
- Review by UN Rolens, Santa Barbara News Press, September 12, 2004 (copy on Kyle Hence's blog)
- TWA Flight 800 and the 9/11 Commission Cover Up: An Interview With Peter Lance by Claire E. White (September, 2004)
- Interview with Peter Lance by Claire White
- Al Qaeda and The Mob: How the FBI Blew It on 9/11 by Peter Lance, Huffington Post, November 21, 2008
- Peter Lance's website
- Why America Slept: The Failure to Prevent 9/11/01 by Gerald Posner
- Review by Harold V. Cordry, BookReporter.
- Review by Seema Sirohi, Asia Times, September 17, 2003.
- Review by John Bacher, Peace Magazine Jan-Mar 2004, page 29.
- New York Times reviews by Eric Lichtblau, October 12, 2003, and by Walter Russell Mead, October 29, 2003.
- The CIA's Destroyed Interrogation Tapes and the Saudi-Pakistani 9/11 Connection by Gerald Posner, Huffington Post, December 7, 2007
- A Question About Those Destroyed CIA Tapes by David From, National Review Online, Friday, December 07, 2007
- Gerald Posner's website
- More books will be listed here later. Listings here will be confined to books by mainstream authors who raise questions about 9/11 without advocating "inside job" theories.
Other mainstream criticism of the U.S. government concerning 9/11
- Whitewash as public service: How the 9/11 Commission Report defrauds the nation by Benjamin DeMott, Harpers, October 2004.
- Former 9/11 Commissioners Say U.S. Is Not Safe - transcript of interview on Lou Dobbs Tonight, CNN, December 5, 2005. Also includes an interview with Peter Lance.
- Much more will be added here later.
Official government reports
- Report of the 9/11 Commission, plus 9/11 Commission Records (National Archives) and the 9/11 Commission's 9/11 Public Discourse Project. (See also 9/11 Commission and Role of Philip Zelikow on the History Commons site.)
- 2002 Congressional Report: Joint Inquiry into Intelligence Community Activities before and after the Terrorist Attacks of September 11, 2001 (See also 9/11 Congressional Inquiry on the History Commons site.)
- CIA's OIG Report - Executive Summary (PDF) (See also CIA OIG 9/11 Report on the History Commons site.)
- FBI 9/11 Investigation (PENTTBOM) (See also FBI 9/11 Investigation on the History Commons site, and see also Penttbom.com and Flight77.info, containing videos obtained from the FBI via FOIA requests.)
- FEMA Report: World Trade Center Building Performance Study (See also WTC Investigation on the History Commons site.)
- NIST and the World Trade Center, including June 2004 Progress Report and NIST Final Reports on WTC 1 & 2
- Draft of NIST's long-awaited report on WTC 7, NIST NCSTAR 1A (PDF), plus sub-reports NIST NCSTAR 1-9, Volume 1 (PDF), NIST NCSTAR 1-9, Volume 2 (PDF), and NIST NCSTAR 1-9A (PDF) (See NIST's WTC website for further updates.)
- NIST's Pentagon Building Performance Report (PDF)
- NTSB Reports on Four Hijacked Flights
9/11 "inside job" theories - advocates and opponents
NYARBB neither advocates nor categorically opposes the idea that "9/11 was an inside job." We advocate investigation of various 9/11-related matters that should be of concern to all Americans, not just those who believe that "9/11 was an inside job."
However, because many of the more enthusiastic proponents of a new investigation do believe in and advocate the idea that "9/11 was an inside job," here are some websites representing both sides of the controversy over "inside job" theories. We urge caution about embracing any theory about what went wrong on the U.S. government's end.
Advocates of "inside job" theories:
- 911truth.org - one of the most popular 9/11 Truth movement sites. (Some of its founders formerly ran the 9/11 Visibility Project.)
- Summer of Truth - website by Nicholas Levis, one of the founders of the 9/11 Truth movement.
- Jim Hoffman's sites, advocating WTC demolition claims: 9-11 Research, WTC 7, and 9-11 Review. (WTC demolition claims are advocated by many, though not all, advocates of 9/11 "inside job" theories.)
- Visibility 9-11 - radio show and blogs by some leading 9/11 Truth activists, including Jon Gold.
Official U.S. government responses:
- U.S. State Department response to "September 11 Conspiracy Theories"
- NIST FAQ, Part 1 and Part 2 (responses to WTC demolition claims)
Non-government opponents of "inside job" theories:
- 9/11 Myths - responds to many different 9/11-related claims. (See also the new version.)
- September 11th section of the Conspiracy Science site.
- Good Science and 9-11 Demolition Theories by Mike King.
- Beware the Holy War, review of "the Power of Nightmares," by Peter Bergen, The Nation, June 2, 2005. Responds to the claim, echoed by many 9/11 "inside job" theorists, that Al Qaeda is/was not a real organization.
- Debunk 9/11 Myths
Some rare, relatively close-to-neutral skeptical views:
- Nightmares of Reason: Sorting fact from fiction in 9/11 conspiracy theories by Salim Muwakkil, In These Times, May 24, 2002
- The 9/11 Conspiracy: A Skepticís View by Ernest Partridge, April 25, 2006
On the "advocates" side, we've listed several sites which represent that sector of the 9/11 Truth movement which advocates "inside job" theories but avoids the more exotic and obviously nonsensical claims, such as "no planes," "mini-nukes," and phone fakery. Our listing also excludes sites that advocate grand conspiracy ideology, of either the anti-Jewish or "Illuminati" variety.
On the "opponents" side, we've listed official U.S. government responses plus several nongovernment sites that present detailed, reasoned responses and avoid (at least for the most part) personal attacks, blanket insults, and caricatures. (We'd like to list at least one more site on the opponents' side which satisfies these criteria, preferably a site which also covers a wide range of 9/11 topics in detail; please contact us to recommend one.) Note, however, that the "opponents," including the U.S. State Department, respond to some claims not typical of the 9/11 Truth movement, such as the "4,000 Jews rumor" and missile-firing planes, as well as to other, more common claims.
NYARBB neither advocates nor categorically opposes the idea that "9/11 was an inside job." We do recommend caution about accepting or endorsing controversial claims (such as 9/11 "inside job" theories) that are not accepted by most relevant scholars. NYARBB recommends that advocates of "inside job" theories familiarize themselves thoroughly with the arguments and evidence presented by knowledgeable critics, if they have not done so already.
It is recommended that the reader take neither the advocates nor the opponents of "inside job" theories as the last word on any given 9/11-related claim, but also look for more information in the Resources for research on 9/11 listed further down on this page, especially the Complete 911 Timeline.
Note that there are plenty of other reasons to call for a new, more independent investigation of the government's role regarding 9/11 even if one does not believe that 9/11 was an inside job. NYARBB recommends emphasizing these other reasons in 9/11 activism.
9/11 Truth activists speak against bigotry within the 9/11 Truth movement
- Statements Against Violence and Racism by the Scholars for 9/11 Truth
- Holocaust Denial Versus 9/11 Truth by Jim Hoffman and Victoria Ashley
- TruthMove's 2008 Declaration: Standards and Strategies for 9/11 Truth
- The Truth Action forum's Mission Statement and Guiding Principles
- Other Truth Action forum threads such as (1) Who is Captain May?, (2) We Are Change - September threads on right wing viewsp://www.truthaction.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2545">Who is Captain May?, and (3) Idiot Defaces Georgia Guidestones
Resources for research on 9/11
- Complete 911 Timeline on the History Commons site. Well-organized collection of 9/11-related news stories, fully referenced, with links to sources where possible.
- September 11th Sourcebooks - National Security Archive - George Washington University
- September 11 Digital Archive - project of the Center for History and New Media at George Mason University
- September 11 Web Archive on the Internet Archive site, including the MINERVA (Library of Congress) September 11 Web Archive
- Memorials: Tribute WTC Visitor Center and CNN's September 11 memorial (list of victims)
- September 11: Bearing Witness to History - National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution
- September 11 News Archive by A.D. Williams (an amateur with lots of ideosyncrasies, but the site nevertheless contains a massive collection of photos and other info)
- The Avalon Project at Yale Law School