New Yorkers Against Religion-Based Bigotry
"Know Your Enemy" Project
To educate New Yorkers about the religious right wing, especially people in those subcultures that are most intensely vilified by the religious right wing (e.g. the GLBT community and the Pagan community).
New Yorkers, including people in the groups scapegoated by the religious right wing, tend to underestimate both the political power and influence of the religious right wing and the political power and significance of the movements that oppose the religious right wing (e.g. the women's rights movement, the GLBT rights movement, and organized atheism/humanism.). Here in New York, where the most visible manifestation of Christian fundamentalism is the storefront churches in poor neighborhoods, it is all too easy to dismiss conservative Christianity as being just for losers, and hence of no political significance whatsoever. But that is far from the truth -- even here in New York, especially the outer boroughs, let alone many other parts of the U.S.A.
- Committee Against Satanic Panics: American connections to African witchhunts, Thursday, September 30, 2010
- "Know Your Enemy" Project: About a theocratic Christian movement in Newark, NJ, Thursday, October 14, 2010
- "Know Your Enemy" Project: Christian supremacists in the U.S. military, Thursday, November 18, 2010
NYARBB will also be holding many other meetings dealing with other topics. For up-to-date listings, see our Meetup site.
- Religious right wing vs. GLBT rights (Manhattan), Thursday, July 8, 2010 - followup to the big Manhattan Gay Pride march
- Committee Against Satanic Panics: Witchhunts in Africa and Asia (including the role of American religious right wingers), Thursday, March 11, 201
- "Know Your Enemy" Project: Christian demon beliefs and the religious right wing, Thursday, February 18, 2010
- Religious right wing vs. abortion rights, Thursday, November 12, 2009
- Religious right wing vs. GLBT rights (Manhattan), Thursday, July 9, 2009 - followup to the big Manhattan Gay Pride march
- Religious right wing vs. GLBT rights (in Queens), Thursday, June 11, 2009 - followup to Queens Gay Pride march
Information and resources
The items listed on the above pages are only a beginning. There will be much more in the future.